Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Shortly = 45 minutes

How crap is an almost four month interval between blogs? Utter, entire, total, complete, absolute, comprehensive, full-blown, thorough, unmitigated, wholesale, downright, and many other adjectives too numerous to mention (go on, check with Roget), that’s what.

So, with abject apologies (becoming increasingly all too common) and, as intimated to a mutual friend recently, here is the first since what we only just had time to refer to as summer. That last one recounted the medical position extant at that time. Anyway, things have moved on and I have now been given a date for the operation (Friday 12th December) when the consultant will perform an L4 spinal decompression and partial discectomy; if you want to know where L4 is, you’ll have to look it up on a map (someone has told me it might be just off the M4).

Last Thursday, I had to go to a pre-admission clinic which I was led to believe would be a quick question-and-answer session but which turned into a marathon, kicked off by the orthopaedic receptionist who, when saying “Sister will see you shortly” omitted to explain what her version of “shortly” meant (see the heading). Anyway, suffice to say that the thoroughness of the staff at Salisbury District Hospital was admirably demonstrated by the number of tests I was subjected to: blood pressure (OK, but the new machine they had only acquired last week was acting up and it was a “best of three” calculation), MRSA test (swab up the nose), weight (best glossed over), *ahem* test (glucose levels, some present, as it turned out but subsequently acceptable), X-ray (the worst part of this was when I had to get dressed and realised that I couldn’t undo the knot I’d tied at the back of the gown and had to try and remove it over my head - try not to think about it), blood (results have proved fine, overnight service!), ECG (no problems) but removal of the ten adhesive contacts afterwards was like how it must feel being waxed. I had arrived at the hospital at 2.45pm and left at 5.15pm, arriving home a bare 10 minutes before Manchester City kicked off in their UEFA Cup game against Schalke 04; it was too late to cook so we had to send out for Chinese – shame!

Also, Sky+ came into its own as the dog had to be walked and horse fed, so the match was put on hold for a good 15 minutes – I turned my phone off to curtail any potential piss-taking: not necessary, as it turned out! I am currently going through a grump phase because of the imminent surgery, the earliness of the date of which has resulted from a cancellation and, if I’m honest, I’m a bit frightened. I attribute the cause of my current absence from anything other than limericks to this state of mind. Copout, perhaps. Sorry and all that. I really hope I can make the next meet but, in the meantime, please bear with me.

8 comments:

Fluffy said...

Thinking of you; hope the operation goes well and the recovery isn't too painful x

Jeangenie said...

I wouldn't be feeling full of the joys of spring either. Hope it goes smoothly and you can enjoy a pain-free Christmas.

Lord Hutton said...

Challenge: use the forthcoming bus pass to visit us for free, if your back can take it! Good luck old chap.
A

Scott Johnson said...

L4, as any astrophysicist knows, is the leading triangular LaGrange point in a two-body system, but since we don't know if it's earth-sun, earth-moon, or some other system that's involved, I'm guessing they mean one of those vertebrae in your lumbar region (no, that's not the forest.)

silver horde said...

Hope all goes well. I'll be thinking of you.
Goes to look when next meet is.

omally said...

Operations are scary, there's no getting away from that. When you get wheeled into theatre and the anes... aneas... gas doctor starts to size you up, all your worries will melt away (along with your senses, of course). Try doing what a helpful nurse once told me to do: think of the wonderful sense of relief you will get when you come round from the anes... gas. It is a lovely feeling and the curiousness of what was to come overrode the fear quite nicely.

Here's hoping you're fit as a flea again in next to no time!

Peter said...

Really hope it all goes well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.