Thursday, July 20, 2006

Drip

And more drips. We can't get anything right in this country, can we? It's been so bloody humid, I feel as though there is someone with a watering can (large rose) constantly pouring warm water over my head. I honestly find this weather unbearable, to the extent I am considering consulting my GP to see if something's come loose. Talking of more drips, a friend of mine suggested a nifty scheme to me on Sunday (incidentally, before Alistair posted a link the other night in the chat to some home-made cooling device or other) which consists of filling a plastic Coke bottle with water and freezing it - don’t forget to allow for the fact that water expands when it freezes, so leave a space for that - ("actually, I would do two, then you've got one in reserve"), then simply standing it in front of an electric fan, whereupon the fan would distribute cold air instead of the boiling hot air which normally permeates the room where I have to work. Incidentally, my friend isn't one of the other drips mentioned: these are the ones from the Coke bottle which are pooling underneath it. You therefore also need a bowl of some kind to catch them. My office is so small that, with all of the equipment it seems you need, there is not enough space for it, or if I did set it up in the only available spot, it would probably prevent me from ever leaving the room. You can't win.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The coke bottle thing is a good idea: we use them little freezer blocks wot you get in cool-boxes. Keep 'em on a plate in front of the fan. we have enough of them to keep 4 in the freezer whilst the other 4 are in use.
Another tip: splash cold water over your face/neck several times a day, and drink lots of water even if you don't feel thirsty. Oh, and lay off the alcohol too: that's a diuretic thus making your body get rid of water which, in this heat, you really don't want it to do!


Oh, alright then: I'll send round a couple of Balinese Temple Maidens. They got these great big fans, y'know, and will waft you into a state of serenity. Possibly. Might need to keep you eyes shut or you'll overheat.

NigelH said...

Lay off alcohol! Is this the real Omally talking? Balinese Temple Maidens, though? Hmmmm...

Max said...

Do you think they have this problem on the moon? Obviously all the important people left the planet ages ago and have been replaced by exact body doubles.

Elvis left of his own accord