Friday, February 06, 2009

A little light relief

Every Thursday, I meet some friends at the pub and we have a few games of pool, a foaming brew or two, and a laugh. My mate Roy gives me a lift. He duly arrived and, as I left the house, I saw a man wearing a luminous yellow jacket and a safety helmet. He came over to speak to me.

Man: ‘scuse me, mate (pointing to the grass verge next to our house), d’you know if there used to be a street lamp here?

Me: Well, I’ve lived here for 23 years and there’s never been one here during that time.

Man: Only, we’ve been told to replace it.

Me: See my previous remark above.

Roy: Perhaps someone nicked it.

Me: Haha.

Man: Haha. Look at my map – it’s definitely marked as being here. See? Number 5.

Me: So it is, but, as I say, to my knowledge, there’s never been one here.

He then wandered off down the road, looking for the elusive Number 5 lamp-post. We thought no more of it especially as he did not appear to have a replacement street light about his person and went to the pub. We related the incident to our friends with great merriment until, about five minutes later, we saw a lorry go past with a street lighting column on the back. I suggested that perhaps Yellowcoat had misunderstood his instructions and the order was for installation rather than replacement.

Ten minutes or so later, S phoned me to say that she had had a conversation with Yellowcoat after she noticed he was erecting a lamp-post. As far as I can tell, her conversation with him went something like this.

Wife: Would you mind telling me what you’re doing?

Yellowcoat: We’re replacing the street lighting column.

Wife: How can you replace it, there’s never been one here.

Yellowcoat: Well, it’s shown on the map and I’m sorry I’ve got no choice but to do what I’ve been instructed.

Wife: But I don’t particularly want a street light here; there’s one across the road, two behind us at the end of the Close, and one just along the road two properties away. Anyway, I don’t want a light shining into the house all night.

Yellowcoat: Oh, you needn’t worry about that – it only shines straight downwards. Anyway, there’s no electricity.

The whole thing was becoming quite farcical. Resigned to our enlightened fate, S went indoors and telephoned the County Council Highways Department, where a very helpful lady was, er, very helpful indeed and even rang back as promised. Apparently, the previous (non-existent) street lighting column had to be replaced for safety reasons as it was too close to the road. The new one is now closer than the old (non-existent) one was – or, rather, wasn’t. Apart from that, our drop kerb access will have to be dug up to have electrickery installed – we will only be inconvenienced for about a couple of hours and there won’t be any problem as long as we had been given authority to use the drop kerb access – ahem. Well, I spoke to a Highways Inspector yonks ago and he said he would come and inspect – well, that’s his job – and let me know if there was any problem. He never let me know any such thing, so that’s all right, then. I hope. Anyway, the Council are going to write to us with an explanation. They’ll probably just tell us they’ve installed a nice new street light. Let’s wait and see.

With our house as the centre, there are now five street lights within a radius of 150 yards. It’ll be like living in Blackpool.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What fun for you. Some years ago 'they' updated the street light outside our house from one which gave a dull glow onto the road and pavement and no light sideways or skywards to one that shone much more brightly directly into our bedroom window. Ned and the nextdoor neighbour got a ladder and some black paint ... it now shines more on the road side.

omally said...

Get an air-rifle.

Lord Hutton said...

Hampshire must have money to burn. All ours down here have been eaten by sea salt and dogpiss. Can we have it?

Claire said...

Tell your lcoal paper, I'm sure they'd love the chance to pick the council to death over their farce!