Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I am not a Number......!

Apparently, I have a Long Penis. Well, it came from the intermanet, so it must be true! Yesterday, I received an e-mail purporting to be from Paypal. It was addressed simply to “2”. It told me that I was to treat the communication as a receipt for the payment of $1,825 which I had just made via my Paypal account to “sexito@yahoo.com” for the undermentioned item. It had the Paypal logo on it and everything and it looked quite plausible. The ’undermentioned item’ was that best-seller, the ever-popular Long Penis / VS 2480 (Item # 75977994). You know the one? And there was a hyperlink to a website with an incredibly long URL. And no, I didn’t! Deep down, I suspected the message’s veracity, but it unnerved me for three reasons: (1) had someone hijacked my Paypal account? (2) would I now have to spend a possible fortune on some Huge Underpants? and (3) would it fit through my letter-box? I must admit I panicked a bit, because I wasn’t really sure what to do next. First, I telephoned Trading Standards and reported it (I should have done that last, really). I then logged on to my Paypal account and changed my password and security questions; while I was doing this, I spotted something that reassured me somewhat: the debit card associated with the account was an old one (I had not used the account for ages) so the money could not have been taken anyway. I then telephoned Paypal where a very nice Irish lady called Anne-Marie told me that what I had done with my account was correct and confirmed that such an amount of money would not have been authorised to be deducted from the account as it was still classed as “unverified”. She also asked me to forward the e-mail to them, which I did. Whilst writing this, I have received a reply thanking me for reporting it, saying that they were investigating the matter fully and confirming that the e-mail had indeed not emanated from them. The people who sent the e-mail obviously hoped to gain information about my Paypal account, and also that, out of the thousands of people the same message was sent to, at least some of them would have a small penis. Ner!

1 comment:

Loretta said...

I got the same email today - I was very confused and thought they must know something I don't!